Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Whole-Wheat French Toast with Fresh Strawberries

I have just prepared and posted a basic French Toast recipe last week. However, the cravings persisted so I have to prepare it again. But since I have already featured the easy and simple way of doing it, this time I decided to make it more elaborate……..a bit special you may say……..with a touch of fresh fruits based on a recipe provided by one of our members who found it online. :-) The recipe also calls for the use of whole-wheat bread instead of the ordinary breakfast bread which is a welcome change for the benefit of weight-washers like me. Yes, I watch my weight as it continues to go up. J

This preparation should be exciting as the combination of French toast and fruit for breakfast is not a common fare to us. Though I have prepared pancakes topped with sweetened banana before, French toast with a fruit topping, though common and I have eaten in Western restaurants, will be a new experience to prepare at home. But what makes me less exciting is the fruit to be incorporated in the dish.......it’s a strawberry. :-) Don’t wonder, while most people are fascinated with the fragrant, juicy and tasty strawberry, I am not. :-(

But since all our members love strawberries and probably most of you too, the show must go on. I just thought while our members will enjoy their French toast with strawberry toppings, I will eat mine with good old butter. :-) And since I will be posting the preparation in this blog, which is more about cooking than eating, then we should proceed. So fire!

The ingredients needed are 4 slices whole-wheat bread, 3 tbsp strawberry jam (we only have strawberry flavored melon spread), 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1 large egg, 1 large egg white, 2/3 cup low-fat milk, 1½ tsp vanilla extract, a pinch of ground nutmeg and 1 tbsp unsalted butter for frying. Of course you can just double the quantities if you will be serving it to big group like ours.

In a small mixing bowl, place the sliced fresh strawberry and add in the jam or spreadable fruit. Stir carefully until blended.


For the rest of the procedures, simply follow the instruction in my previous French toast post. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg, egg white then add the milk and stir. Add in the vanilla extract and nutmeg and continue beating with a fork until blended. Keep the excess one egg yolk for later use or just fried it in the pan after the toast and use as topping along with butter as what I did.



I a non-stick or well seasoned skillet, melt ¼ tbsp butter over medium heat. Dip a bread slice into the egg mixture, letting it soak briefly on both sides. Don’t over soaked the bread as it will suck up all the egg mixture and we might end up with only two slices of toast instead of four. Fry the soaked slice bread in the skillet. Cook until lightly golden or about 3 minutes per side. Turn once only.
Keep the cooked French toast warm. Either in an oven, preheated to lowest temperature or in an air tight cooler. Repeat with the remaining bread slices, adding the remaining ¾ tablespoon butter as needed.


Arrange the still hot French toast in a serving plate and top with the gorgeous strawberry mixture. Wow…….....Yummy! I know you’ll love it. :-O

Serve immediately with your favorite fruit juice or coffee or tea. It’s lusciously good.

Where is mine topped with just butter…………….and fried egg yolk? c“, )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails